November 1, 2021
We are happy to announce that on October 24, 2021, the Center for Solidarity and Cooperation with Universities of North and East Syria (CSCUNES) was founded by a constitutive assembly of scholars from diverse backgrounds across the globe. Based in Paris, France, this center aims to support universities of Rojava and the north and east region of Syria (University of Rojava, University of Kobani, and University of Al-Sharq) for their advancement of educational and research programs.
Since the beginning of the Rojava Revolution in 2012, academics around the globe have been enthusiastically following the developments in Rojava and the north and east region of Syria. Amid the ruins of war in Syria, the people of the region established several academic institutions, such as the University of Afrin (currently under the Turkish occupation), the University of Rojava, the University of Kobani, and most recently the University of Al-Sharq in Raqqa. Scholars from across the globe offered their support for these universities, and memorandums of agreement between these universities and global academic institutions were signed. Significant collaborations, thus, were developed. As an outcome of these collaborations, the Institute of Social Sciences at the University of Rojava was established in 2020. This experience demonstrated that collaborations with diverse academic institutions and scholars are essential to the advancement of academic research and education programs for the universities in the region. Upon these academic interests, the need for a stronger coordination of solidarity and cooperation efforts with these universities became visible. In response to this need, the CSCUNES was established.
In coordination with the University of Rojava, the University of Kobani, and the University of Al-Sharq, this center intends to:
1. Introduce these universities to the academic and research institutions in France, Europe, and around the world.
2. Recruit staff for scientific research and teaching in these universities.
3. Develop research and teaching collaborations with academic institutions in France, Europe and around the world.
4. Facilitate knowledge and student exchange programs with other universities and institutions in France, Europe, and around the world.
5. Organize academic activities (such as panels, talks, seminars, exhibitions, and conferences) for knowledge exchange.
6. Assist the universities with their digital media platforms.
7. Assist the universities with the translation and interpretation projects and tasks.
8. Provide educational and infrastructural resources to the universities (such as academic books, subscriptions to academic platforms, laptops, and other research and educational materials).
The center’s website is under development, but in future, you can find more details on how to support our work at www.cscunes.com In the meantime, please send your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
Board of Directors